Saturday, February 5, 2011

Please Mr. Postman

December 1961

1961 is soon coming to a close. Our next song, the penultimate one, is this hit by the Motown group The Marvelettes, notable for being the very first #1 hit by the famous Detroit record label (although it's not the first girl group entry – that would be "Will You Love Me Tomorrow").



Considering the song's continuing popularity (or maybe because of it), I can't think of much to say about it. It's a nice, original concept for a song, but it's certainly not among my favorites of the girl group genre. In fact, I am guilty of preferring the Beatles' version, a sacrilege to purists, I'm sure.

The Marvelettes themselves were not one of the more successful Motown artists, having only 3 major hits, "Postman" being their first and biggest. The song was predictably rewritten for next year's "Playboy," and it wasn't until 1966 that they scored their last top-ten, "Don't Mess With Bill." That last one is my favorite of the 3 songs by far; its cool, funky sound demonstrates how much the genre had developed in five years.

Some may appreciate the rawer, less polished sound of "Please Mr. Postman," and I'm not saying I don't like it. Maybe it's just that my opinion has been jaded from overexposure to the song.

B

1 comment:

  1. i gotta throw my hat in the ring here: this is one of those songs that won't let me sit still. it may not be as highly charged as some other girl group hits, yet it has a solid rhythm & melody that i find irresistible. maybe i'm just a sucker for a charming female voice.

    ReplyDelete