Friday, August 27, 2010

Blue Moon

April 1961

Doo-wop group The Marcels weren't quite a one-hit wonder (they had another top-ten with "Heartaches") but they are remembered best for the insanely catchy "Blue Moon."



This song is fun because it's a re-imagining of a much sappier, older song. This wasn't uncommon in the day (cf. "Georgia on My Mind," "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes") but this is one of the coolest and most original examples, I think. Really, the only thing it has in common is the melody – The Marcels' version is much faster, it's danceable, and instead of schmaltzy strings it's got one of the most famous doo-wop vocal arrangements ever.

One of the interesting things about this song is that the backing vocals are the most recognizable part of the song – not the lead singer. The "bom buh-buh bom" refrain is what makes the song what it is. I honestly can't think of another song where this is true. Sure, it's a common feature of doo-wop to have a strong baritone to provide the bass notes, but here it's so distinctive that it's elevated to the main stage.

It's funny that with all the fame that bass hook has achieved, the same bass singer is (in my opinion) an incredible distraction during the middle eight section. The endless "doo-doo"s are pretty stupid sounding, and borderline comical. I suspect that most people hear this song without really noticing it, but for me it's unavoidable. When the main section comes back around, I'm relieved.

Well, I'd certainly like to hear this song more than once in a... okay, fine, I'll spare you.

B+

No comments:

Post a Comment