Monday, April 12, 2010

Cathy's Clown

May–June 1960

Well folks, this is the 29th song so far, and yet it's the first one I would say I was familiar with before I undertook this project (young 'un that I am). Even cultural staples like "Mack the Knife" – I've definitely felt its influence, but I didn't really know the original version. But when I heard oldies stations in the car growing up, this one by the Everly Brothers definitely got a ton of airtime. It's the singing duo's third #1 single, but it's the first (and last) within our time frame.



First off, and I hope you'll agree – it's a terrific song. Foremost are the vocals, with as brilliant a two-part harmony as I can think of. The Everlys' singing was certainly an inspiration to many singers of the day, including a certain Paul and John. And the musical arrangement is great, too – especially those stuttering drums which seem to mimic the protagonist's nervousness. Because really, although he claims he's going to finally break it off with the titular girlfriend, we listeners aren't so sure if he'll really go through with it.

The situation in the song is pretty extreme – her cheating on him is so well-known that people openly laugh at him in the street – but it works because the emotion is believable on a basic level. I'd say most people have had the experience of staying in a relationship longer than they probably should have. With love can come a sense of attachment that's hard to exaggerate. People stay in abusive relationships all the time – everyone else around them can see the problem except themselves. It's easy to forget how powerful that feeling can be, but this song is strong enough to remind us. But in this case, it's not hopeless. He's finally declaring he's had enough. It's a pretty heavy emotion, and furthermore a dynamic one. What I mean is that the change from powerless cuckoldry to freedom feels like it's happening during the course of the song. It's not just a static image of heartbreak, or true love. I think this is why you can listen to the song so many times and it doesn't tire out. And those harmonies!

And here – in case you want the song ruined for you forever, be sure to check out this version.

A+

No comments:

Post a Comment