Sunday, December 13, 2009

Special Secret Bonus Post—1958 Awards


I think it's probably a good idea to recap each year when I get to the end of it. It's not going to be as interesting for '58 because I started more than halfway through the year, but here goes:

Most Weeks at #1: "It's All in the Game," with 6 weeks, which just barely edges out "Volare" at 5.

Best Song: "To Know Him Is to Love Him." I dunno, something about this tune just resonates well with me. You may or may not agree but I just think it's a really well-written song. And I'm not even taking into account the historical importance of it being Phil Spector's first hit single. Keep in mind, this is merely my favorite #1 single of 1958, not my favorite song - that would undoubtedly be Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode."

Worst Song: "Christmas Don't Be Late." Easy choice for this year. Oh that adorable Alvin, he really wants a hula hoop!

Most Surprising Song: "Tom Dooley." I had no idea this kind of music was this popular in the late 50s. This blog is, of course, a learning experience for me.

Well that does it for this year. See you in 1959!

No comments:

Post a Comment